At GLW we specialise in custom-designed steel staircases for interior and exterior spaces. Staircases serve two purposes. Firstly they must be functional, safe and secure, to avoid the risk of accident and injury to users. Secondly – especially when inside a building or public facing – they must be comfortable to use, conveniently laid out and visually appealing.
Our designs achieve both these criteria, within the demands of your project brief. No matter what the application, we take pride in our design and craftsmanship to ensure each staircase delivers safety, functionality and aesthetic appeal.
Types Of Staircase
Our projects include many different types of staircase, with these being just a few:
- Architectural staircases – relatively small constructions designed primarily for their aesthetic appearance
- External staircases – widely used in commercial and industrial buildings, which may include fire escapes, hoop ladders and other safety features.
- Indoor commercial staircases – functional and attractive structures designed for heavy usage
- Helical and spiral staircases – ideal for steep ascents or confined stairwells
- Straight staircases – which may include landings and turns.
As weight-bearing steel components, safety and engineering standards are paramount when manufacturing staircases. Our staircases therefore comply with all relevant quality and building standards:
- Building Regulations Part K (protection from falling) and Part M (access)
- BS 6399-1 (structural load bearing in buildings)
- BS 5950-1 (load bearing structural steelwork)
- BS 1090-1 (structural steel fabrication)
- BS 10025-1 (steel plates)
- BS 10210-1 (welding for hot finished hollow sections)
- BS 10219-1 (welding for cold form hollow sections)
Design And Fabrication
The full design and fabrication process is carried out in-house, to speed the process and give customers greater visibility over the progress of their project. An initial design is created using 3-D CAD software, which establishes a realistic delivery timeframe and budget, and inputs all customer requirements in terms of materials, appearance and safety features.
Fabrication takes place at our workshop in March, Cambridgeshire. Some staircases are constructed in situ and transported to your location as complete units (we have photos of some of these projects on our Facebook page). Others follow a modular design and are put together on site.
Fabrication includes protective metal coatings to improve the durability of your staircase. We carry out hot zinc spray galvanisation in-house, saving you time and money on outsourcing, and can also powder coat your metalwork to improve resistance to weather and corrosion. A pigment of your choice can be included in the powder coating.
Some customers choose to install their staircase themselves, although we are happy to do this on request. Our team of installation engineers are fully indemnified for on-site work and assume complete responsibility for your delivery schedule and the quality of your final product. We can transport your new staircase to site using our special purpose fleet of vehicles, install it and paint it if required.
Find Out More
To discuss your requirements or find out more about our past work, please call 01945 464637 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.